Use gangway communication signals to direct ship cargo
The person credited with this unit standard is able to use gangway signals by selecting the correct position and signal equipment according to operational requirements. They are also able to conduct continuous assessment of the lifting gear and evaluate the slinging methods to ensure safe operating practices.
The qualifying learner is capable of:
- recognising, interpreting and demonstrating approved gangway signals as per the South African Ports Cargo Handling Code of Practice
- selecting position and using correct signalling equipment and applying signals according to operational requirements
- conducting continuous assessment of lifting gear and safe slinging practices.
The above programme can be customised to suit specific organisations’ policies and procedures.
- Unit Standard Title: Use gangway communication signals to direct ship cargo lifting appliances.
- Classroom Price: R1 630 per person (Novice); R510 per person (Re-certification)
- Classroom Duration: 2 days (novice); 1 day (recertification)
- Credits: 4
- SAQA ID: 242975
- NQF Level: 3
- Prerequisites: Communication and Mathematical Literacy at NQF Level 2
- Target Groups: • This programme is aimed at people responsible for directing the operation of the cargo lifting appliances in a ship board freight handling environment.