Operate a telescopic boom handler
On completion of this course, the successful learner will be able to understand the functions of a truck-mounted crane while using the crane in a safe and suitable manner. They will also be able to access support and emergency services, in the case of an incident or accident in the workplace.
At the end of the course, the learner will be competent in:
- discussing and applying the regulatory framework for operating telescopic boom handlers
- describing the telescopic boom handler to be operated
- demonstrating mechanical awareness of the telescopic boom handler
- inspecting the telescopic boom handler
- handling loads with a telescopic boom handler
- operating the telescopic boom handler.
- Unit Standard Title: Operate a telescopic boom handler
- Unit Standard ID: 260781
- Classroom Price: R 2 940 per day
- Classroom Duration: 5 days (novice); 1 day (recertification)
- Credits: 10
- SAQA ID: 243272
- NQF Level: 3
- Prerequisites: 1. Communication at NQF Level 3 or equivalent Mathematical Literacy at NQF Level 3 or equivalent 2. Re-certification training should have a certificate not expired for more than 90 days 3. The driver should be declared physically fit and have completed an eyesight test (such as the Orthorator test, the Purdue University Test No 3, etc) and industry recognised depth perception and hand-eye-coordination test. 4. It is assumed that people starting to learn towards this unit standard have already undergone company induction, have an appropriate licence to operate in the work area, and are competent in unit standards which address: • Relevant Code of practice • Occupational Health, Safety and General Housekeeping • Mechanical Awareness and Plant Appreciation.
- Target Groups: • This course is targeted at employees (novice or experienced) with responsibilities for functions within the workplace that relate to operating telescopic boom handlers.