Taking basic care of freight handling machinery
A learner accredited with this standard will be able to utilise the competencies acquired in selecting, utilising and caring for freight handling machinery and equipment, to positively add to operational efficiencies.
By the end of the course, learners will understand:
- how to conduct pre-trip inspection, operating, shut down and parking of equipment
- handling equipment capacity, rating and operation i.e. using the correct equipment for the correct mass, as well as the principles of operation
- suitability of equipment in relation to environment and prevailing conditions (e.g. preventing contamination through exhaust fumes)
- safety precautions in operating the equipment for particular product types
- safety measures, and in the event of incidents and accidents, procedures to be followed
- the consequences of failure to comply with maintenance and operational requirements on machinery and equipment
- the relevant national and international standards, codes and legislation pertaining to the selected discipline.
- Unit Standard Title: Taking basic care of freight handling machinery
- Course Price: R 875
- Course Duration: 1 day
- Credits: 2
- SAQA ID: 8021
- NQF Level: 3
- Prerequisites: NQF 1 or General Education and Training Certificate (Occupational Health, Safety and General Housekeeping)
- Target Groups: • This programme is aimed at any person working with freight machinery within the warehousing or logistics chain.