Operate overhead/gantry cranes
The successful learner will be able to understand the functions, safety and suitability of the crane prior to utilisation in the freight handling industry. Learners are also able to inspect and record the operational fitness of the components of a crane, and be able to access available support systems and emergency services, in case of incidents and accidents while operating an overhead/gantry crane.
At the end of the course, the learner will be able to:
- demonstrate knowledge of the functions of a crane
- identify the safety and suitability of the crane type prior to utilisation
- inspect and record the operational fitness of the components of a crane
- operate an overhead crane in a safe and competent manner
- access available support systems and emergency services in case of incidents and accidents.
- Unit Standard Title: Operate defined purpose lift trucks
- Classroom Price: R 2 940 per day
- Classroom Duration: 4 days (novice); 1 day (recertification)
- Credits: 5
- SAQA ID: 242976
- NQF Level: 2
- Prerequisites: 1. Communication at NQF Level 3 or equivalent Mathematical Literacy at NQF Level 3 or equivalent 2. Re-certification training should have a certificate not expired for more than 90 days 3. The driver should be declared physically fit and have completed an eyesight test (such as the Orthorator test, the Purdue University Test No 3, etc) and industry recognised depth perception and hand-eye-coordination test. 4. It is assumed that people starting to learn towards this unit standard have already undergone company induction, have an appropriate licence to operate in the work area, and are competent in unit standards which address: • Relevant Code of practice • Occupational Health, Safety and General Housekeeping • Mechanical Awareness and Plant Appreciation. Attachments and special equipment shall include: • S: Tandem Lifts • T: Special Categories The Codes and Attachments correspond with the National Code of Practice.
- Target Groups: • This course is targeted at employees (novice or experienced) with responsibilities for functions within the workplace that relate to operating overhead/gantry cranes Cranes shall include: C30: Overhead pendant controlled , C31: Overhead cab controlled. Attachments and special equipment shall include: • S: Tandem Lifts • T: Special Categories The Codes and Attachments correspond with the National Code of Practice.