Operate defined purpose lift trucks
The successful learner will be able to operate a basic purpose lift truck. They will also be able to access emergency support and services, in the case of an emergency, while operating a lift truck. The person is also able to identify and classify the load, and handle and move the freight, while operating the lifting equipment (in accordance with standards and its performance capabilities). The successful learner will also able to monitor the fitness of the lift truck.
At the end of the course, the learner will be able to:
- inspect and record the operational fitness of battery powered lift trucks
- identify and classify freight/loads
- handle, load and store freight
- achieve maximum work performance of battery powered lifting equipment and attachments
- operate freight equipment
- access available emergency support systems and services.
- Unit Standard Title: Operate defined purpose lift trucks
- Course Price: R 2 940 per day
- Course Duration: 3 days (novice); 1 day (recertification)
- Credits: 4
- SAQA ID: 242981
- NQF Level: 2
- Prerequisites: 1. Communication at NQF Level 3 or equivalent Mathematical Literacy at NQF Level 3 or equivalent 2. Re-certification training should have a certificate not expired for more than 90 days 3. The driver should be declared physically fit and have completed an eyesight test (such as the Orthorator test, the Purdue University Test No 3, etc) and industry recognised depth perception and hand-eye-coordination test. 4. It is assumed that people starting to learn towards this unit standard have already undergone company induction, have an appropriate licence to operate in the work area, and are competent in unit standards which address: • Relevant Code of practice • Occupational Health, Safety and General Housekeeping • Mechanical Awareness and Plant Appreciation.
- Target Groups: • This course is targeted at employees (novice or experienced) with responsibilities for functions within the workplace that relate to operating the following range of defined purpose lift trucks: F6: Pedestrian-controlled lift truck below rated capacity of 2 000 kg, F7: Pedestrian-controlled lift truck above rated capacity of 2 000 kg, F12: Pallet lift truck with battery power propulsion (specify capacity). Attachments and special equipment shall include: • A: Side Shift • B: Single pole • C: Carton or paper roll clamp • D: Crane Hook • E: Push Pull/Slip sheet equipment • F: Load Rotator • G: Wire Guidance system • H: Load Extender Pantograph • I: Rotating Mast (Turret Truck) • J: Tilting Bucket • K: Tandem Forks • L: Container Vanning and Devanning • M: Container Handling • N: Forks • O: Cradle (Safety Cage) The Codes and Attachments correspond with the National Code of Practice.