Operate a mobile elevating work platform
On completion of the course, the successful learner will be able to safely operate and use a mobile elevating work platform (MEWP). The learner will be able to assess their work environment to establish any safety hazards to:
- prevent or eliminate such hazards and resultant losses
- conduct pre-inspection tests
- operate the MEWP in safe conditions.
At the end of the course, the learner will be able to:
- identify applications to decide on the appropriate MEWP to be used
- assess risks in the work environment to prevent and eliminate safety hazards
- conduct pre-operation inspection of the MEWP
- make use of safe operating procedures (SOPs) and practices for a MEWP
- place people, tools and equipment correctly and safely on the MEWP
- conduct shutdown procedures and stow the MEWP safely.
Mobile Elevating Work Platform will include but are not limited to Cherry Picker, Scissor Lift, Boom Lift, Access Platform, Man Lift, Personnel Lift, Aerial Work Platform.
- Unit Standard Title: Operate a Mobile Elevating Work Platform (MEWP)
- Unit Standard ID: 243272
- Classroom Price: R 2 940 per day
- Classroom Duration: 5 days (novice); 1 day (recertification)
- Credits: 10
- SAQA ID: 242978
- NQF Level: 2
- Prerequisites: 1. Communication at NQF Level 1 or equivalent Mathematical Literacy at NQF Level 1 or equivalent 2. Re-certification training should have a certificate not expired for more than 90 days 3. The driver should be declared physically fit and have completed an eyesight test (such as the Orthorator test, the Purdue University Test No 3, etc) and industry recognised depth perception and hand-eye-coordination test. 4. It is assumed that people starting to learn towards this unit standard have already undergone company induction, have an appropriate licence to operate in the work area, and are competent in unit standards which address: • Relevant Code of practice • Occupational Health, Safety and General Housekeeping • Mechanical Awareness and Plant Appreciation.
- Target Groups: • This course is targeted at employees (novice or experienced) with responsibilities for functions within the workplace that relate to operating mobile elevated work platforms.