Load general freight
The purpose of the learning credited in this unit standard is to ensure that learners are able to safely load, secure and off- load freight carried on vehicles. Credited learners can adhere to given time frames and specified requirements for specific types of freight. Improved general freight loading prevents accidents where vehicles lose loads, and ensures that loads and persons are not damaged or injured. If the condition of loads is preserved, customer service and profitability are improved.
By the end of the course, the learners will be able to:
- prepare for loading/off-loading processes according to specified procedures
- load general freight according to context requirements
- secure general freight according to product requirements
- off-load general freight according to specified procedures
- understand SABS Codes of Practice for freight securing on vehicles, specifically with regard to:
- safety problems associated with the transportation of freight
- basic precautions including basic criteria for freight securing and cargo distribution and arrangements on vehicles
- freight securing equipment (different types and the selection thereof).
- recognise permissible gross vehicle mass and axle loadings, and tyre specifications
- know the impact of overloading on vehicle performance and safety
- weigh bridge procedures
- carry out procedures for dealing with on-the-road problems.
- Unit Standard Title: Load general freight
- Classroom Price: R 1 630
- Classroom Duration: 2 days, including a practical assessment
- Credits: 2
- SAQA ID: 123262
- NQF Level: 2
- Prerequisites: Communication and Mathematical Literacy at ABET Level 1
- Target Groups: • Any persons working within a freight-loading environment