First aid level 1
First Aid level 1 is the minimum required qualification for all workplaces in South Africa (as per the Occupational Health and Safety Act). The course equips candidates with the basic principles of assessing an emergency situation, contacting the emergency services as quickly as possible and while awaiting their arrival, candidates will be able to perform basic skills required to sustain life.
- Various activities will be completed during class as well as for homework.
- Written test
- Practical exercise
The course equips learners with the basic principles of assessing an emergency situation, contacting the emergency services as quickly as possible and while awaiting their arrival, candidates will be able to perform basic skills required to sustain life. Learners will be able to:
- understand the laws of first aid, including the principles of emergency care
- demonstrate an understanding of emergency scene management
- treat wounds and arrest bleeding
- know the first aid required for different injuries
- utilise the correct equipment and safety precautions when administering first aid
- understanding potential hazards in the work environment
- performing cardio-pulmonary resuscitation (CPR)
- respond to cyanide poisoning (optional component for gold mining operations).
- Unit Standard Title: Perform basic life support and first aid procedures
- Course Price: R 950
- Course Duration: 2 days
- Credits: 5
- SAQA ID: 119567
- Professional Body: Saiosh
- CPD Points: 5
- NQF Level: 1
- Prerequisites: None
- Target Groups: • All companies that want to ensure their employees are equipped to deal with any emergency situation that requires first aid, and to ensure legal compliance. This is also for any members of the public who are keen to acquire first aid skills.